Today on #ImagineeringFriday, Walt Disney World is in desperate need of a new resort….any type of resort….anywhere on Walt Disney World property. It’s our job to create a new resort for this week’s #ImagineerFriday.
- Can be any type of new resort (value, moderate, or deluxe)
- No Disney Vacation Club property
- Can not have a theme of any existing Disney resort
- Can be anywhere that a resort or park DOES NOT already exist
With that, let’s start to create some new Disney resorts. I am going with a new deluxe resort. I am also going to make this a throwback to when Walt Disney World was first being developed. I’m creating the Venetian Resort and I am creating the property on Discovery Island. The type of resort was planned twice in the history of Walt Disney World. First, when the property was first being developed and second, during the 80’s and 90’s in an area between the Contemporary and the Ticket and Transportation Center.
Why am I choosing Discovery Island for this resort? Two reasons. First, the island is big….11.5 acres. Second, an island is a great place to set up canals to run through the island to give that Venetian flair.
The primary downside to using an island is transportation off the island. A stop on the Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, and Wilderness Lodge boat loop could be added for the Venetian or a new direct boat from the Contemporary to the Venetian could be created. A new direct boat would be add for the Venetian to and from Magic Kingdom. After that, things start to get a bit sticky. A bridge that could support bus traffic would need to be added to link the island to the main land. This would guests to and from the other parks and for the Magical Express.
Layout of the resort
The layout would be very similar to the Grand Floridian with clusters of buildings. These clusters would be woven through the man-made canals which will require a lot of bridge work to link the foot traffic throughout the resort. The bridges will also need to be tall enough to allow gondolas to pass under them.
What will be on property
- There will be a central swimming pool with smaller quiet pools sprinkled throughout the resort
- A main hall done up in traditional Venetian and Italian architecture.
- A 24-hour quick service restaurant
- A two-credit table service restaurant serving seafood and other Italian specialties native to Venice and northern Italy
- A one-credit table service restaurant focusing on pizzas and pasta dishes.
- Pizza from the restaurant could also be purchased by the slice at the 24-hour quick service restaurant
I think this would be an interesting new restaurant on Disney’s property. It would be the largest property but I think it would add something new and different to the current lineup of restaurants.
If you want to add your link and ideas to the Link-up please do so by clicking the following link: